Sunday, August 16, 2009

Principal's Message (2008-2009)


I was a SILC student for eight years, and am currently the Principal, a social studies teacher, and a tabla student/teacher. The names and faces have changed over the years, but the spirit has not. SILC still exposes students to many facets of Indian culture in a secular setting, and is perhaps more involved than ever in sharing that with the community at large. As a second generation Indian who visited there frequently, I was naturally curious about its history and traditions. Through social studies classes, SILC gave me a broader picture of India. Through language, tabla, yoga, dance, and song, SILC provided me with the opportunity to directly participate. My perspective of India and the world is vastly different because of SILC. I returned because of these wonderful things. I wanted to give back and continue to learn. I am now picking up important public speaking and leadership skills. In fact, I enjoy SILC more as a teacher than I ever did as a student. I have brought my wife Deepa in to teach and dance. My son is a frequent visitor and future student. Along with my father Godan, that will make three generations of involvement with SILC!

Krishnan Nambudiripad
Principal, 2008 – 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment